Skip to page body Home City Government Services Parks & Recreation Arts & Culture Discover Port Moody Business Online Services

Change to Building Permit Application Process

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the new process for applying for a building permit?
Starting November 1, 2017 you must book an appointment with a City of Port Moody building official before submitting a building permit application. Find details on our Building Permit Application Process page.

When is a Building permit required?
A building permit is required before any new construction takes place, for residential building permit information and requirements see our guide on “Applying for a Residential Building Permit Guide

When is a Plumbing permit required?
A plumbing permit is required if you are planning to install or alter plumbing fixtures or piping. If you are planning to alter sanitary or storm sewers outside of the building you require a plumbing service permit.

What is a Tenant Improvement and when do I need a permit?
A tenant improvement is new construction or an alteration proposed within an Industrial or Commercial Building. For Tenant Improvement building permit information and requirements see our guide on “Applying for a Tenant Improvement Permit in an Industrial or Commercial Building

When do I need a demolition permit?
You need a demolition permit to completely remove any type of buildings or structure. If you are demolishing only a portion of a building or a structure or interior partitions you need to obtain a building permit (not a demolition permit) to make alteration to the building.

What is Waste Management?
The City’s Waste Management Bylaw No.2822 regulates the amount of waste generated by new construction or demolition of structures sent to the landfill. A waste management plan is required for every building permit application.

How do I apply for a swimming pool permit?
Any swimming pools with a depth exceeding 2 feet requires a permit, for swimming pool permit information and requirements see our guide on “Applying for a Swimming Pool Permit

Do I need a permit for a Retaining Wall?
Retaining Walls are defined as walls retaining soil over 1.2m (4’0”) in height and would require a permit.

How do I know when to call for an Inspection?
When requesting an inspection, owners must give at least 24 hours notice to the City of Port Moody. Building officials must inspect and accept work before it is concealed. To book and inspection, call
604.469.4565. For more information on required stages of inspections see our guide “Required Inspections for Standard Buildings”.

How much does a permit cost?
To obtain permit fees please see the City of Port Moody’s “Fees & Charges Bylaw” or call the Building division at 604.469.4534.

How do I obtain a gas or electrical permit?
Port Moody does not issue gas/electrical permits or provide gas/electrical inspections; please refer to the Technical Safety BC for further information.



Last updated: 27/09/2018 9:52:56 AM