The City of Port Moody invites residents to enjoy hands-on activities at its Public Works Day Open House at the Port Moody Works Yard (3250 Murray Street) on Friday, May 24, 2019 from 11am to 1pm.
This important event showcases how all aspects of public works – from providing clean water and disposing of solid waste, to maintaining our roads and taking care of our parks – contribute to the excellent quality of life we enjoy in Port Moody.
City staff will host informative exhibits, perform live demonstrations, and offer lots of fun activities and giveaways for the community. Areas of interest include construction, transportation, environment, parks, urban forestry, waterworks, sewers, City equipment (vehicles and heavy machinery), recycling, and waste collection.
At the 2019 Public Works Day Open House, visitors can:
- learn how water gets to their tap;
- do some planting with the City’s Horticulture team – insert plants into containers or help add plants to Port Moody’s Mama Bear and Cub Canada 150 eco-sculpture;
- learn how to be more bear aware;
- see how sewers work;
- find out what a sewer combination truck sucks up;
- check out City equipment on display, such as a backhoe, front-end loader, flail mower, and Port Moody Fire Rescue multi-purpose truck;
- and so much more!
All activities at the Public Works Day Open House are free. Residents are asked to consider bringing a donation for SHARE Family and Community Services.
Port Moody’s Public Works Day Open House is part of Public Works Week, which is celebrated across Canada and the United States to educate the general public about the value and necessity of public works projects, and the contributions of public works professionals.