Skip to page body Home City Government Services Parks & Recreation Arts & Culture Discover Port Moody Business Online Services

When is a Highway Use Permit Required?

The City requires a Highway Use Permit (HUP) when a person, business, or organization is performing an action that may disrupt the normal flow of pedestrian or vehicle movement or interfere with parking, sidewalks or bike path access, regardless of how long the disruption is required.

A Highway Use Permit must also be obtained for any asphalt or concrete utility cuts, within any of the City’s roads or streets.

For more information, see City of Port Moody Street, Traffic and Public Places Bylaw, 1981

 What are the different types of Highway Use Permits?

 HUP Application Types

Major Projects

  • Capital Projects
  • Development
  • 3rd party utility 
  • Minor Requests

  • Parking Restriction
  • Moving Trucks
  • Bins
  • Homeowner renovations 
  • Community Events

  • Event parking
  • Street-based events
  • Marathons
  • Parades
  • Movie Productions

  • Parking
  • Road closures
  • Miscellaneous

  • Slow moving vehicles
    (eg. zoom boom)
  • Oversize loads
  • Overweight loads

    What are the Permit Application Requirements?

    Permit application requirements differ depending on the type of application. Applications typically require the following minimum information to be provided:

    Required for all applications:
    Highway Use Permit Application   A completed HUP application must be submitted ten (10) working days in advance of the intended start date. This provides staff the necessary time to review the application and associated traffic control plans or sketches, review public communication requirements and provide appropriate notification to Operations, Emergency Services and the Bylaws Department.
    Prime Contractor Designation Applicants must attach a copy of a Prime Contractor Designation letter or, in the case of the property owner, must complete the applicant acknowledgement section on the application. Prime Contractors must comply with the BC Manual for Traffic Control for Work on Roadways as well as the Workers Compensation Act and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations at all times.
    Certificate of Insurance The City of Port Moody requires all applicants to provide proof of liability insurance in the minimum amount of $3 million dollars before a HUP request can be approved. The City of Port Moody shall be named as co-insured and the policy must include a 30 day cancellation notice.
    Payment of Fees   Permit fees are outlined in the most current Fees Bylaw.


    Major Projects, Community Events and Movie Productions also typically require a Traffic Management Plan, consultation with Coast Mountain Bus Company as well as public notification of any upcoming closure or disruption.

    Minor Requests also typically require a basic sketch or plan of the site location.

    What are the fees required to process a HUP application?

    Permit fees are outlined in the most current Fees Bylaw.

    Fees are as follows:
    Highway Use Permit:
    Major Road Network 305.00 for the first week
    130.00 per week thereafter
    Minimum charge 305.00
    Local Road Network 175.00 for the first week
    65.00 per week thereafter
    Minimum charge 175.00
    Highway Use Permit – Bin on City Right-of-Way Fee, per week 85.00

    In addition to the standardized permit fees, a damage deposit may be required for utility cuts or in case of potential accidental damage to nearby infrastructure or utilities. These refundable sureties are determined by Engineering Division staff, and have a typical minimum value of $1000.00.

    How do I submit a Highway Use Permit application?
    Completed applications can be submitted in person during office hours, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday to Friday at the City’s Engineering Department, or faxed to 604.469.4533 or emailed to

    For more information about the Highway Use Permit process, please call the Engineering Department at 604.469.4618.



    Last updated: 21/02/2018 4:26:16 PM